Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Friendship

I just wanted a person whom I could go to whenever I felt low or needed some moral support. A person who could tell me on my face what I deserved to hear and not praise me unnecessarily. Someone who would be there with me not only during my good times but would also help me get through the bad phases of my life. I wanted a friend.

It's rare to find such people nowadays. People have become selfish and a general trend has arised where everybody thinks only about themselves. The most unlikely of people may prove to be the best of friends while the people you bank on the most may sometimes desert you when you need them the most. The people celebrating with you might not be your friends but the person who cries with you is your true friend. To sit and spend time with some people doesn't classify themselves as your friends. When you know that you have somebody to back you up even if you screw up you know that you have a friend. If you can speak openly to a person and feel good about it you know you have a friend. These are just a few of the innumerable ways of knowing whether you have friends or hypocrites calling themselves friends.

The reason that I am saying all this is that I've been thinking for quite sometime now about what is friendship all about? What are friends? Are they just people you meet often or hang out with or are they those people who will stick by your side no matter what it takes? To laugh and joke together cannot be termed as friendship as friendship is much deeper term which implies that people in this relation not only respect and care for each other but also have a supportive nature towards each other.

I too was once a person who did not know what friendship was and hence used to think that those who laughed and joked with me or whom I roamed about with were my friends. No doubt they were and still are my friends, but not for these reasons but for those reasons upon which actual friendship lies. I've learnt a lot in the past few years about friendship as people who were least likely (at least I thought so) of becoming my friends actually showed me what friendship really meant. I am yet to figure out the proper meaning of friendship as I know from experience that however easy it is to get people who will hang out with you, so much more difficult it is to get a friend.
Now, do you have friends?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you have said it all buddy !! an amazing post....

Friendship is all about trust and faith... rememeber you can hang out ( meet up) with a lot of people ... but only those you can count on from those are your true friends ....

"There are many people walking in an out of your lives but only a few (friends) leave their footprints in your heart"

The one you remember when you are all low and sad is the one whose left his footprints on your heart and indeed is your friend !!

Anonymous said...

Wow that came out strong.

Before I start saying anything - really well written post! Really! Frankly, I was suprised ..in a good way!:P =)

When I joined MHS, I dunno... but making friends was the easiest part. Everone was so accepting, so innocent, so not judgemental(obv - 4th grade!), so easy to be a part of. I loved it(still do:P)

By 5th grade,I was well settled in "my new school". Had a circle of friends (Upas, Ishika, Pash, Riddhika and Proma in later grades) who fit the "true friends" category. Everything seemed way tooo perfect. But then soon one by one people started leaving to different schools, either in India, St.marys, DC, Aus etc. Riddhika first, then Pashmina in grade 6, Ishika in grade 8, Upasna in grade 9...and Proma in grade 11! Every person who left, created a huge obvious void in my life...and I started believing - "People always leave"

But the best part is that although they may have left due to their reasons,even today when we meet, after ages, we share the same rappo. Some may have developed an accent:P but they are all the same within. Thats just brilliant!

Anyway, there ARE people whom you can trust, believe in and whom you support and would get that support back in return. I'm sure you're familiar with SATAN?:P haha!

Soo from my experience- even though your true friends may/may not be physically present with you, your friendship is everlasting. =)

PS- I did not mean to highlight people by taking names.

Anonymous said...

ello Kazi!
Ive been meaning to comment on your blog for a while now! First things first, I love your approach to blogging as a forum! Well done!
Now to the post!
I honestly have a hard time distinguishing between a friend and a 'lover'. Other than the obvious sexual requisites(to be naughty) I think it's fair enough to expect the same things! I know a person is close to me when I can take them for granted! I've over the years learnt to try to get to this point in a relationship sooner than later because hell why waste time? See when you know and are aware of each other in such a close way, that you can do as you like without having to so much as think about the response that follows, you've become really close! That's friendship! Not giving a shit together!:)
Keep it blogging!