Saturday, December 30, 2006

Death of a man or something more?

What can be said or done now? The deed has been done and the former Iraqi "dictator" as referred to by the Americans is no more. Yes, I am talking about Saddam Hussein the erstwhile ruler(I would not like to call him a dictator) of Iraq who was executed in his own home country at 6 a.m (Dubai time) today.



I never had any views over this issue really as I'm not interested in politics that much, until now. This sudden birth of opinion did not arise because of the execution which took place rather because of the day chosen for such an event. Today is the day where all Muslims rejoice and the the festival of sacrifice is celebrated with huge amount of enthusiasm and in good spirit. It is the day of Eid-ul-Adha in many parts of the world. This may not be of great concern for some people as they may say that today or tomorrow he had to be killed but this has deeply hurt the sentiments of the Muslims(Sunni sect especially). While many people were just about getting ready to offer their Eid prayers Saddam was hanged to death in a former military intelligence headquarters in Baghdad's Shiite neighborhood of Kazimiyah.


I was ignorant of this event until the watchman of my building came to my house to wish us "Eid Mubarak" and during our conversation informed me about this. Without wasting a single moment I switched on the news channel which was as expected discussing about this event. The public view was asked and I witnessed a mixed reaction of joy and a sense of celebration, and of remorse and anger amongst the Shia and Sunni sects of the Muslim religion respectively. Do not for a second think that I am taking sides or any such thing. The basic idea of this post is that I wanted to give a thought on this whole issue. What was the reason that he was hanged today out of all the other days? Was it just a coincidence or a purposeful step? I am still not fully convinced on which side should I take or whom should I support. What are your views on this whole issue and what will be the outcome of this event?Peace??


P.S.- This post is not a political one but just a thought provoking one and must be treated so. Do not comment very critically against anybody and be as moderate as possible.

10 comments:

Annika Ambotty said...

Hey Nawaz,
I totally agree with you on this topic. I too have never been the type to be too engrossed in politics. Just had an idea of the things happening around us...
But I feel that this execution was carried out in a very hasty manner. To add to the chaos it caused, the execution was carried out on the auspicious day od Eid-ul-Adha. Now that was not exactly the best of decisions...This is just my point of view. I have no reaction to this incident but at the same time, these thoughts did strike my mind & what better way to share it with everyone than on Kazi's blog.
Nice blog Nawaz... Really liked the way u tackled this sensitive issue... Wishing u a happy & blesses New Year!! Cheers!!
Annika

Nawaz said...

Hey thanks for those kind words Annika. A happy and prosperous New Year to u too and may this be the best year yet. Take care.

Nawaz

Anonymous said...

- post-mortem!
- The dynamic tyrant bit the dust today. Well, there are mixed reactions alright! Most people didn't want him living, and now that he's dead, everyone thinks otherwise!(I don't know why I mentioned that, though atleast I found it strange!)
- The blog makes a decent attempt at provoking our thougths as you put it, though the slight influx of colloquial parlance misses the point at times. (Don't blame me mate, I just can't pass anything(blog) by, without giving my "expert"(yeah right!) comments. Peace! :)
- Its just death as per me. I don't think we can expect a revolution in Iraq following HIS death.
- Well, another thing I would mention before wrapping up is my viewpoint on the DATE of HIS execution; today is just another day of the calendar. Agreed it's Eid, and people rejoice today. But then, court procedures are court procedures. If they think that the execution be carried out today, then, well we can't really argue can we? What we can argue about though, is whether he deserved the death penalty. And that is an open debate, and I don't want to comment on something I don't know much about on this blog (not sounding politically incorrect I guess!). So I end it here! :)
- Saiprasad

Nawaz said...

Saiprasad you have no doubt given some good ideas about this issue.
I do not agree about your arguement regarding the date of his death. This is one of the main reasons that people all around the world no doubt especially the Muslims have been angered by this act.
As during such festivals of joy and celebration events like this tarnish the overall fun which is got from festivals. Anyways your opinion is respected as everybody has a right to state their views.

anish said...

maybe they wanted him killed before 2007..
anyway as long as he is dead, whenever it happens, how does it matter? he is after all being killed for "crimes against humanity"...taking that into context, maybe the chosen day was the most appropriate...anyway my opinion!

Nawaz said...

Yes Anish you're right when you say they wanted to kill him before 2007 and you no why they wanted to do that? That's because no man can be given capital punishment of any sort if he is seventy years or above and Saddam was sixty nine so they didn't want to waste any time.

The same reply I gave to Saiprasad applies to you also.

Anonymous said...

hmm in my opinion they cud have done it on ny other day. u see all they did was to create more riots - 75 ppl killed tht very day. sigh - the americans. moreover i dunno why it took them sooo long to give the verdict . if they had killed him in 2003 itself, not soo many ppl wud have been killed... this is due to my belief tht there were riots mainly coz they wanted him bak

anjali said...

Saddam was executed. Fine.
He was Punished. Fine.

But did they have to hang him on Eid?
He was a ruler and however cruel a leader is, some sort of respect and dignity must be given to him/her.

Nawaz said...

Yes you're absolutely right Anjali. No matter how unsympathetic and harsh a ruler he was, Saddam was a ruler nonetheless! And the manner in which he was punished was a manner which no leader should be punished, however good or bad he/she might be.

Anonymous said...

Saddam may have caused trouble to his citizens and may not be a nice man bt i think it was wrong to hang him on a day when everyone else was celebrating the ocassion of eid al adha....